Wheel Alignment at Bob Moore Cadillac Norman
A tire alignment is one of those routine maintenance tasks your vehicle needs to function at its best. Otherwise known as a wheel alignment, a tire alignment helps your tires last longer and provide more stability and grip on the road. You can schedule an appointment at Bob Moore Cadillac Norman.
What is a Tire Alignment?
Your tires should be positioned in such a way as to grip the road and provide stability as you drive. If the tires and suspension change direction, it causes them to be misaligned. A tire alignment will put the tires back into their proper position. Tires can become misaligned over time, especially if you travel over gravel roads or potholes. It can also happen after a collision.
Why is Tire Alignment Necessary?
A tire alignment is important because it helps the tires have a better grip on the road. It also ensures that the tread wears evenly. When tires are out of alignment, it makes the vehicle harder to control since it tries to move in one direction or vibrates. If a misalignment isn’t taken care of, it can lead to other problems.
How Do You Know If You Need an Alignment?
Look for signs from your vehicle to know when it is time for a tire alignment.
- You notice patterns of uneven wear on the tires
- Tires wear out faster than normal
- Steering wheel vibrates
- Steering wheel points to one side even when you’re traveling in a straight line
If you notice any of these signs, you should schedule a tire alignment with Bob Moore Cadillac Norman.
Types of Tire Alignment
How your tires will be aligned depends on how they are misaligned. Technicians look at three things to know how to adjust your tires and suspension.
- Camber alignment – This is when the tires tilt inward or outward as you stand in front of the vehicle. Camber issues can happen when ball joints and wheel bearings get worn.
- Toe alignment – This is when the tires turn inward or outward as you look down from above the vehicle.
- Caster alignment – This is the angle of the steering axis as seen from someone standing beside the vehicle. This alignment is important for balance in steering and cornering.
The way the tread wears on your vehicle can also indicate an issue with tire alignment. For example, the tread may feel smooth on one side of the tire and rough on the other side, which is known as feathering. A toe alignment is usually needed in this case.
If you notice that the inside or outside of the tire wears down more than the center, it may be an indication that a camber alignment is needed. If the tire tread feels like saw teeth, the heel/toe may be worn, which usually means the tires haven’t been inflated correctly or rotated as they should.
Contact Bob Moore Cadillac Norman to set up an appointment for a tire alignment today. Let us help you keep your vehicle running smoothly and providing safe transportation.